Monday, March 8, 2010

Tiny Treasures found...

I love a flea market day with my husband. We don't spend a lot of money, but we find lots of little stuff that makes our house...our house! I also love finding trinkets for ~ Stitch Poet ~ embellishments. We went this weekend to replace the 20 year old desperately tired sisal rug in our family room. We came home with a fresh new sisal and here's what else found it's way home with us!

A sweet little clock...it doesn't work, 
but it looks good in the bookcase!

Not sure where we'll put this garden tile,
but how could I resist?!

...tiny Florentine frames, buttons and beads...

...here's a closer look at my buttons...
the bee skep is killing me! 

I found information on the bee skep button online. It's from Scovill Mfg. Co. Waterbury, Conn. The UTAH State Seal BEEHIVE Button. 

The "P" buttons are from the same company and are antique police uniform buttons with and with the style of "Extra Quality" on the back indicating c.1860. 

The tiny button to the left with the crest is a Horstmann Bros. & Co., an American Military Federal Officer Staff button with 21 stars, 4 arrows in right talon dating 1860. 

The tiny monogramed button in front is by Browning King & Co., famous for college clothes and uniforms. This one for the Long Island Rail Road c.1880-1900. The gold color indicates a conductors uniform. This is a small button indicating a sleeve, vest or hat button.  

The large monogram button is worn unreadable on the back with initials GAR on the front. With a little help from Google and a little clicking power, I now know this one is c.1875, a Grand Army of the Republic Uniform button. The GAR was a fraternal organization composed of veterans of the Union Army who had served in the American Civil War. The GAR was among the first organized interest groups in American politics.  

I know, this is probably more than you cared to know about my buttons, but it's so fun to Google my way into this stuff and who knows, you might find it amusing somehow.

I got this little ivory guy for Patterson.
He's pretty tiny, about the size of a nickel.

We've looked forever for one of these!
Will put it on the kitchen island and I need to
find a great little flat back basket to 
hang underneath!

1 comment:

  1. Wow...you found some fabulous things. I'm happy for you. ~ Rosemary

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for coming to the Party!
Anonymous comments will be selectively published and spam deleted!